Buying your home is the single most important investment that you will make in your lifetime. There is only one opportunity to get it right. Get it wrong and you may find it difficult to sell for its full value or to raise a mortgage later.
Residential conveyancing (buying and selling houses and flats) gives rise to more negligence claims each year than to any other legal activity. This is because
- conveyancing involves a greater knowledge of law and practice than any other legal discipline – not just land law, landlord and tenant law (for flats) and land registration, but also contract law and planning law. Only specialist solicitors have that level of knowledge and training
- most residential conveyancing is carried out by non-solicitor conveyancers, often wholly unqualified – the United Kingdom is unique in that it is the only country in the world that does not require conveyancing to be dealt with by specialist lawyers
- more and more residential conveyancing is being carried out by the nominees of estate agents and mortgage brokers who are only interested in their substantial commissions – it is a very rare agent or broker who is prepared to recommend a specialist solicitor who may turn down a property with a bad title or that has been constructed or altered in breach of planning law; it is an even rarer agent who will recommend a specialist solicitor who may advise that a property should be sold elsewhere
Bennett Welch’s Our Looking After Number One Guarantee policy means that your sale or purchase will be handled at all stages of the transaction by one of our specialist solicitors. It also means that the advice you receive is guaranteed to be entirely independent of all other parties (agents, brokers, etc) who may have a financial interest (often not fully disclosed) in your transaction.
Bennett Welch’s solicitors offer a personal service and they have advised clients on a wide variety of residential property matters for many years. We can help you with:
- sales and purchases of properties
- grants of leases
- land development sales
- auction sales
- transfers of shares of property
- equity release